St. Therese Catholic Church History

In 1928, construction began on St. Therese Catholic Church at Wainwright and it was dedicated on May 12, 1929.
The church was officially decreed to be a mission effort of St. Francis de Sales Parish at Newcomerstown and pastors there cared for the Wainwright congregation until 1948. Prior to completion of the church, Mass was celebrated in a remodeled dance hall on the site of the future rectory of the parish.
In the late 1940s, a belltower was added to the church, chiefly through the efforts of Guy Sciarini, a parishioner.
Faher Joseph Buzek became the first resident priest of Wainwright in 1948, although he did not have the title of church pastor. He arranged for purchase of the land for the parish social hall, rebuilding the old hall as a rectory.
Father Ralph Dermody was assigned as the first resident pastor of the Wainwright parish in 1950. Pastors there were also in charge of the church of St. Paul the Apostle Church at Midvale until the closing of the churches in 1995 as part of the Diocese of Columbus’ future staffing plan.
The Wainwright church and rectory were sold to private individuals and the social hall was transferred to Warwick Township trustees. Currently the hall is being updated and maintained through the efforts of a group of Wainwright-area residents. It is called the Wainwright Community Hall and is rented often for parties and reunions. A 4-H club also meets there regularly and fund-raisers are held periodically.

Leave a Reply